northern lights

northern lights
image

Sunday 9 December 2012

Emotions of a last tree in the forest

I am a Banyan tree. I stand alone in a forest ,which was once upon a time  a flourishing  forest. with lots of flora and  fauna. It was a habitat for several animals like wolves, deer, foxes,elephants and  tigers etc.
                     I am   more than hundred  years  old. In these  hundred years of my existence ,I have been witness to innumerable changes. I recollect that two young boys had some seeds with them and they planted  me along with  ten more trees  We were all grown  in two rows We  grew together  enjoying the rains and the Spring  season.We also bore the vagaries of nature  bearing the storms and tornadoes. Slowly as the time passed  many more trees were grown. and the place became  a forest. All of us were friendly   I remember that being one of the oldest   I was respected  and sought after .Young or old, people loved to sit under my shade and  discuss  their domestic problems,politics  match making for their children.  Children used to love to play under my shade.  But all this merry making, and  joyous  pleasures did not last long. As  time passed  the population also   increased. With increasing   population  difficult time arrived   for us.
          People required  wood for construction of  house, preparing food, furniture. Slowly ,  one by one  the trees were  slaughtered.  When ever  we saw hordes of people  marching towards the forest  we  wondered whose turn would it be. We shuddered   when our friends were  stacked in lorries and taken away to unknown destinations.. Years rolled by. None of my companions are left.   To day the scene is that I am the  only one , a lonely  one,  standing all alone in this vast   desert like  land , pondering over the days that were once glorious and flourishing.


This post  the last tree standing in a forest is a part of="WOW" http://blog.blogadda.com/category/write-over-the-weekend-wow">Write Over the Weekend</a>, aneccentricgrandmum.blogspot.com


10 comments:

  1. A very heartfelt expression of a tree!! Wonderful post, Ma'am! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am happy that you liked it. Thanks Shilpa.

      Delete
  2. Very nicely written Ma'am! very touching!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Meenakshi for your words of appreciation.

      Delete
  3. Expressions straight from the heart.it really touched the chords Maám!...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks odyzz for the encouraging remarks.

    ReplyDelete